Monday, January 28, 2008

effing credit card!

so its a beautiful sunny, wintery, snowy day.  most people are outside playing in the snow with friends and family.  me?  im walking through the snow...to the police station...to file for id theft.  yep!  once again, i got a bill in the mail saying that i owed $4,884 on a credit card that i never saw.

this has happened before.  my junior year in college, i got a call from a debt collector telling me that i needed to pay like $2000 on a credit card in my name.  over the years, ive gotten a few more calls about cards out in my name.  i have always disputed it but not very successfully because whoever was doing it has ALL of my info, including my social security number. 

the last one (in like september or something like that) was a capital one card and no matter how much i tried to dispute it, they told me that unless i could send them a piece of official mail, like a bill, with my address on it at with a different address than the one that the card was taken out at, they couldnt do anything about it.  i had to prove it with the bill with my real address on feb 2004 or i would have to pay it.  i was frustrated.  i had shredded everything over a year old and when i called my old phone company, etc, for a copy of an old bill dated in feb, they told me that they couldnt help me.  sooo, frustrated, i sent the bill to my mom to pay.  i mean, i had tried to file a complaint and they hadnt listened to me!

so this time, pissed, i called the collection agency.  they cant do anything until i file a police report.  so i did.  turns out, i should have been doing that all along but i didnt know it because creditors kept telling me that they couldnt do anything "unless you find an old bill, etc."  the woman at the police station was very helpful and told me that they had no right to do that and gave me all kinds of information to get me started on getting my credit back.  

today i filed a police report, tried to report id theft online but i have to send in a copy of my idea and everything, and got a copy of my credit report.  i have had four credit cards out in my name and i only know who took out the first one.  i hope that everything works out because my credit sucks because of this.  i have never taken out a card in my name and now, because of all of this, i had to buy a used car and pay HUGE monthly payments and get full coverage insurance for it when i could have gotten a new car for the same amount monthly.  all this time i could have actually been approved for those in-store cards like old navy and victoria's secret, i could be able to get a cell phone plan without paying HUGE deposits!

i really hope it comes together...

1 comment:

Katrina Henry said...

Lame! I'm sorry you had to deal with all that on your snow day. Hopefully all of this will pay off & you can get it all fixed. :\